Blogging is a fun way to share your thoughts with the world. It is an opportunity to write, share and interact with others. One of the fun parts of blogging is the opportunity to comment. Comments are a way to open up a conversation, ask questions and interact with other visitors of a blog. It is important to remember some basic rules when leaving comments online. It is important to follow these guidelines to ensure safety and demonstrate good digital citizenship.
- When posting online, remember not to give out any personal information. Use an appropriate screen name that does not reveal your full name. In our class, we will use our first name and the first letter of your last name.
- Grammar rules! Remember that you are writing in a school environment, so please check your spelling and be mindful of good grammar before posting.
- Context is everything. Remember who your audience is and write with that intent. Make sure you are representing your “best self” when interacting online.
- Double-check before you hit the “send” button. Re-read or read aloud what you have written. Is there anything that could be misinterpreted? Remember, no writing in all capitals because it appears to the audience as “shouting”.
- Remember the “Golden Rule”. Don’t say something online that you wouldn’t say to someone’s face. If you see a comment thread that looks like it may start an argument, do not get involved.